CTMC Rehabilitation Institute to offer FREE balance screening Sept. 3
SAN MARCOS, TEXAS
– Do you experience unsteadiness, near falls or frequent falls? The Central Texas Medical Center (CTMC) Rehabilitation Institute will host a free balance screening event on Wednesday, September 3 from 2 to 4 p.m. at 1340 Wonder World Drive, Building 2, Suite 2100 in San Marcos. To schedule a screening or get more information, please call (512) 753-3539.
The free 20-minute screening includes blood pressure readings in three different positions and various balance assessment tests. Participants will be able to review their results with a CTMC physical therapist who will offer recommendations and referrals for those who need further evaluation.
There are several benefits to getting a balance screening, including:
• Determining if the cause of a fall or loss of balance is related to a physical deficit, muscles, joints or equilibrium
• Preventing a fall by identifying areas of weakness
• Restoring function after a fall or near fall
• Determining if a referral to a specialist or physical therapist is needed
The CTMC Rehabilitation Institute offers free balance screenings every quarter. Another balance screening will take place on December 3. For more information about care and services at CTMC, please visit ctmc.org
The hospital, which originated in 1923 as Hays County Soldiers, Sailors and Marines Memorial Hospital, was restructured in 1960. The present facility was opened at its current Wonder World Drive location in 1983. The CTMC staff of more than 600 employees works with more than 220 active and consulting physicians to provide quality services to patients and their families.
In addition, over 200 community members and interns from area educational institutions volunteer their services to the hospital. In 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, CTMC was named The Best Hospital in Hays County. CTMC also added a certified Chest Pain Center to its ER capabilities in 2011 and became an accredited Primary Stroke Center in 2013. In 2012, CTMC became the first operating room along the IH-35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio to be equipped with a da Vinci robotic-assisted surgery suite.
CTMC is a member of the Adventist Health System (AHS), a not-for-profit healthcare organization that emphasizes Christ at the center of care. Founded in 1973, Adventist Health System is a national leader in quality, safety and patient satisfaction. Today, Adventist Health System supports 45 campuses in 10 states and employs nearly 70,000 individuals. Adventist Health System hospitals are comprised of more nearly 8,300 licensed beds, providing care for 4.5 million patients each year in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room visits.