Hospice General Inpatient Unit (GIP)
The Douglas E. Holcomb Inpatient Hospice Unit was designed to provide a comfortable, compassionate, home-like setting within the hospital for all hospice patients who qualify*.
The GIP unit, located on the second floor of CTMC, offers a comfortable and peaceful setting to patients with private, spacious rooms. The unit provides a welcoming environment for the whole family including a family counseling room, and a cozy living room area where loved ones can gather and rest.
Additional amenities include a private entrance, 24/7 access, reserved parking space, as well as access to the CTMC chapel, gardens, coffee shop and cafeteria.
The unit is intended for short-term hospitalization of hospice patients to manage symptoms that cannot feasibly be controlled in another care setting, such as a private home or nursing facility. Short-term or long-term care in the GIP unit can also be provided on a private-pay basis.
*Qualifications for Hospice GIP Care
- Need for short-term hospitalization
- Symptoms are unable to be controlled at home or nursing facility
- Symptoms can include: uncontrollable pain, uncontrollable nausea/vomiting, severe agitation or delirium with behavioral issues, unmanageable respiratory distress, recurrent seizures, etc.
- The Hospice Medical Director determines if a patient qualifies for GIP based on state and federal guidelines.
- Once the qualifying symptoms are controlled, the patient will transfer to another care setting such as private residence or nursing facility.
For more information, please call CTMC Hospice Care at 512.754.6159.